Our new store is open!
As promised here are your tips for caring for the eisenglass.
While you're here, we hope you will learn more about EZ-Xtend Boat Zippers, the great little zipper invention that helps you add one inch instantly and relax the the fit of your shrinking boat enclosure.
EZ-Xtend Boat Zipper in Action
Now on to eisenglass tips
1. When you aren’t using the boat, keep your canvas snapped in place, it slows down shrinkage and helps keep the vinyl wrinkle free.
2. Clear vinyl can easily burn when lying against metal bimini top legs. Prevent this by using bimini stand offs or bimini sox’s.
3. Rolling up clear vinyl enclosure panels is hard on the panels, but leaving them rolled up for extended periods of time can permanently damage the vinyl. This can happen when water gets trapped in the rolls and clouds the vinyl. Most of the time the clouding disappears, but not always.
4. Before rolling up and securing your enclosure panel try using a towel wrapped dry pool noodle to roll the plastic up on. This helps keep the vinyl from creasing and sagging in warm weather.
5. Store your boat enclosure panels clean and dry, with towels or sheets between them. If you can’t store them flat, try rolling them up onto 3 towel wrapped dry pool noodles, this keeps them from collapsing and creasing. Creases in the vinyl can actually crack when an attempt is made to straighten them out during cold weather.
6. Indentations caused by storage will usually come out of the plastic over time.
7. Burns, UV degradation and scratches cannot be removed from clear vinyl. Light scratches can be improved, but never fully removed.
8. Can’t stand looking through that old vinyl any more, consider having your clear vinyl replaced if the snaps, fabric and zippers are still in decent condition. It’s a less expensive solution than replacing the enclosure.
9. When cleaning clear vinyl, use products designed for the job. Plexus, Imar, 210 and Davies Klear to Sea are good choices. Steer clear of Coleman fuel, Rain-X and other products not designed for the job. Good light scratch removers are Novus, Imar and Meguires.
10. Be very careful when cleaning the boat with chemicals. Splashing can cause damage to clear vinyls.
The best thing you can do for your vinyl is keep it clean, dry and treated with high quality products designed for use on flexible clear PVC.
Be Sure to Check Out EZ-Xtend Boat Zippers!
"I wanted to thank you for the fantastic results I have with the EZ-Xtend zipper solution you provided for my Sea Ray.
The isinglass had shrunk to the point that installing it was an all-morning job, with some snaps totally unusable due to the material shrinkage. I really was preparing to purchase a complete new canvas set, but hated to spend the money-especially since the canvas is still in excellent shape.
The EZ-Xtend zippers have made the canvas/isinglass installation and removal about a 10 minute job! (and looks great too!) Thanks again for the quick solution and the reasonable cost, I really do appreciate it.
The extend zippers have been a resounding success. Zippers were needed for the starboard stern section of my bimini top, and for both side curtains of my camper canvas. It is a clever design you came up with to increase the width of connectivity between my bimini top and camper canvas sections. I do not know what I would have done otherwise as the camper canvas sections have shown shrinkage over time.
I got a chance to install these yesterday and just thought I'd get back to you to let you know that they worked perfectly for me. I couldn't be happier with that simple to install solution to my problem now allowing me to properly and fully enclose my cockpit again. Such a great idea.
The Ez-xtend zippers were very easy to install---especially with a little lubricant ( which I always apply periodically to zippers)
"True skill and craftsmanship are rare traits in today's society. When they're held by a person that truly cares about her customers, brings honesty, creativity and passion to her work, you have just described Tammy Hampton. Better known as "The Cover Girl," Tammy has been both a friend, mentor and business partner for nearly twenty years.
I found Tammy by her name tag.... sewn to a sailboat cover, in a nearby marina. The boat cover was fitted with such precision, it clearly stood out from the others. In the years since, Tammy has 'dressed out' at least twenty boats for me. She has yet to meet a challenge for which she could not find a creative and effective solution.
Tammy has become a valuable resource to my Boatbutler business, and she has actually created sort of a "cult" following among my customers. Once they see the quality of her work, the choice is an easy one.
I am still grateful for that little tag on that sailboat cover I found nearly twenty years ago."
Owner, Boatbutler Marine Services, Inc.
WOW! I just got the EZ-Xtend Boat Zippers for my canvas and what a simple solution! Thank you for coming up with this. I am telling my friends about this product.
We just installed the zipper we received on our sea ray boat canvas- what an incredibly easy experience! It makes snapping the canvas so much easier with the zipper extension. Thanks for the crimper & tape - you made everything easy. We just ordered 5 more longer ones to completely update our canvas. Thank you so much for your quick response on our first order.
I love your website and wish we lived closer, so that I
could stop by your shop - sounds like a wonderful place!
Our boat was 10 years old when we purchased it and the canvas was stored all rolled up in the boat. When we tried to put the canvas together the force required to zipper the canvas together was making the canvas split on the seams or causing the zippers to tear, so we had to leave parts of the canvas unattached and every time it rained we would get water in the boat. With your zippers in place we could button up all of the canvas and make a very nice weather tight space which made our boating season very enjoyable.
EZ-Xtend Zipper Saved the Day
I purchased a used 27' Sundancer about a year ago.
I came with the Bimini, side curtains & windshield eisenglass panels along with a bimini to transom cover with eisenglass also.
I don't think the original owner ever put anything up except the bimini.
Nothing would fit, ever where it was short.
If I cheated and put the windshield panels in the side curtains were never even close. If I did it the other way, sides first front panels were off. The canvas is hi quality material from a well known manufacturer.
Started researching about what to do. Then I came across a blog on the Searay owners site. One of the chats was about what I had going on. One owner who replied had purchased your zippers and was raving about solving his problem using them.
Well I'm here to "RAVE" about them also. My $300.00 investment with you has saved me thousands in replacing what is perfectly good canvas.
Boaters if you have a shrinkage problem and we're not talking the George Costanza kind this is your answer.
Your site has also grown to include more helpful information on boat care and maintenance. Great information and wonderful tips.
Thanks again Ron W.